Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.







Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Is it time?

I am off from work this week and trying to catch up on some things. Today I am pondering if I should take down my tree. It is time to take it down, isn't it? Nay, I think I will leave it up until tomorrow. I love the lights (just like a kid), so I need at least one more day. When it comes to taking the tree down, I am a procrastinator. One year I left my tree up until February and boy did the family make fun of me. So, let me have one more day with my tree and I promise to take it down tomorrow.

At church this past Sunday we had our Christmas children's program - it was awesome! They were so cute and funny (in a good way). We even had a live baby Jesus, well for most of the program. When he got tired of being the center of attraction he had to be replaced with a toy baby Jesus.

During our church service we have been having a "Discipleship Moment." This week a gentlemen in our church shared this: At a school in our community there are approximately 200 children that leave school on Friday and never have anything to eat until they return to school on Monday. GASP!! I had no idea. This news breaks my heart (tearing up). So, along with another church in our community we are starting "Back Pack Friday," which means that these children will be supplied with a back pack full of food for the weekend. Food will be gathered through out the week at both churches, then on Thursday night volunteers will gather and fill the back packs with donated food. I love the idea. What a great way to help those in need.

So, Sunday night I went to Wal Mart and to the Dollar General Store and purchased food. I was so excited while shopping, knowing that I was going to be helping a family in need.

Helping and giving to those in need as God would have us to do - it is such a privilege and a joy. I am thankful that I can help with this and excited that our church is involved.

Hope everyone has a good week!

3 comments:

chadandnikki said...

There's a church in Lenoir that does this and it's a great way to make sure some kiddies have enough food to make it through the weekend.

And for that tree. February?? I guess it's your house do it your way.

Joan Carr said...

Leave the tree up as long as you life, don't worry about the boys. You are the only female in the house so go for it. I bought a tree last night to go in my dining roomd. I decided clayton and the futre grandchildren need it at my house. My kids ar egouing laugh at me I know. At least I got it half off.

Love the Pack a Backpack idea.Might send you some food along through our mutal contact. The school in our community did not want to do there part on this program that we tried to get together. I think it is the neatest idea. Although so very sad. Any snack foods that they can open up and eat themselves is that correct.

Jamie Lynn said...

That is a really neat idea!!