Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.







Thursday, November 5, 2009

Raising Cain

As some of you know I have started a Bible study. The book I am using is "Know the Bible in 30 Days." I purchased this book some time back from Guideposts. I am enjoying it very much, but it is going to take me longer than 30 days. First it's a lot of reading and I am ok with that, but I am famous for reading and re-reading, so I am taking a little longer. That's ok, it's what I retain that matters.

Anyways, the book offers "Did You Know?" sections along the way. The other night when I read a particular one I was surprised, I didn't know that. Now you guys or gals may know this little bit of tidbit, but I didn't and it has stuck with me. So please allow me to share and don't think I am dumb for not knowing this. Here goes...........

Did you know? Ever wonder where the expression "raising Cain" came from? When people are squeamish about using profanity, they are reluctant to say "raising hell." And because Cain, the first murderer on earth, presumably went to hell after he died, "raising Cain" has the same meaning as "raising hell."

Who knew? I sure didn't I actually have never wondered where that saying came from. Did you know that??

2 comments:

Jamie Lynn said...

I'm right with ya!
I had no idea, but that's a neat little fact to know.

chadandnikki said...

I didn't know that either. I guess it's good to know what you're saying before you say it.