Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.







Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I have a nephew who is 11 years old. He is a little small for his age and always has been. When my nephew was younger, my boys would ask him "What do you want to be when you grow up?" They taught him to say "bigger." That has been an ongoing thing between them over the years. During Christmas when we were all together, they once again ask him "What do you want to be when you grow up?" And as usual he said "bigger."

That question got me to thinking about myself. Here I am an adult with grown children and am I who I want to be when I grow up? My answer is "No." Most people make resolutions at the New Year and yes I have before - with failure.

This year I do not want to fail, I want to become a better me! A better me in different ways. I have goals that I intend on reaching.

I want to become closer to God; by reading the Bible more, by studying the Bible more, increasing my prayers, and although I go to church 99% of the time, I want to get more out of church, which requires me to be a better listener. I need to have an open mind and open heart.

I want to of course lose weight, exercise at least 3-4 times a week. I have done this before and I know that exercise makes you feel better, physically and mentally.

I want to do more for others. Support our local Burke United Christian Ministries, support the Back Pack Friday program at a local school for children who don't have food other the weekends. And in any way that God leads me.

I want to start saving money and stop wasting money. I want to buy out of need and not out of desire. (Although I really want a new TV so I can get my exercise program under way at work)
I am learning to use coupons and shop wisely. Today I used coupons at the grocery store and saved $26 dollars. I was so proud. I did it and it felt good. That leaves me more money to use in ways to help others.

I want to be a better wife and mother. Be more understanding and patient. Our family is very close and I do want to keep it that way.

And a biggy ...... I want to stop being a procrastinator. This is gonna be a tough one. (hehehe)

I WANT TO BE A BETTER ME!!! So, I am on my way.........

Live, Laugh, Love
Donna

3 comments:

chadandnikki said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!!! It's wonderful. I want to be a better "me" as well. Thanks for a little motivation.

Joan Carr said...

What a good thought. I want to be a better "me". I have so much to improve on.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing you have a better chance at accomplishing at least some of your goals because you innumerated them here. I think it helps to see them "in print".

Many of your goals are the same as mine. May we both keep our eye on the prize! :)